Re: [microsound] degree programs in digital music?

thanks for info doug

i guess that rules me out for Ph.d there - i barely made in through
grade 11 math:) science, technology i love, but without the math i'm
condemned to the pop sci section of those nice bookstores where the
covers feel really expensive and smooth.

i did a masters in ethnomusicology in york in toronto. they have Ph.d
programs there too. i quite liked it. they are open minded to new
kinds of music, electronic, experimental, academic, electo-acoustic
and otherwise. but it is pretty much musicology. i really would have
like to have learned more techie stuff while i was there, but the one
grad course that i did take called 'electronic music composition,'
well, the prof never showed up to a single class. classy, i know.
michael coglan to name names. i was pissed, especially considering
how much those courses cost.

but that said, i have nothing but good things to say about rob bowman
who runs the show there. the nicest guy you'll ever meet and is a
walking encyclopedia of all things pop music. with over 35,000
records in his personal collection, i should hope so. best of all, he
one the most passionate, friendly and enthusiastic teachers i have
ever had.

so that's my experience in a nutshell. pun intended:)

all the best,

g.