Re: [microsound] Re: secrets needed: ryoichi kurokawa

"Result", in terms of the aesthetic product, is an illusion - it is a
snapshot of a process, frozen or crystallized at a given moment in
time. Really, there are only processes, flows, fluxes.

This is a fundamental premise of a materialism that can comprehend
reality as forces in motion. Karl Marx developed this concept in Das
Kapital, in his section on the fetishism of the commodity. Marx stated
that a commodity was really a RELATIONSHIP between social forces in
flux, that magically acquired the appearance of a substantial thing
existing outside of and separately from those forces. (Scholars,
forgive my inexact paraphrase of this concept from memory, I'm not in
academia...) This passage, by the way, had a strong influence on
Adorno and his aesthetic theory, I believe.

Anyway, my point is that just is there is a fetishism of the
commodity, there is a fetishism of the artwork, which views the art
object as something that exists separately from the fluxes, flows, and
processes that constitute the object and bring it into existence. I
would argue that it is those processes that are most real, whereas the
artwork is just a contingent moment in the midst of these neverending
processes.

~David

On 9/15/06, steinbrüchel <steinbruchel@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If the process is irrelevant, I ask you this: if I painted an exact
> copy of a Picasso painting, am I then as great an artist as Picasso?
> After all, the process may be different, but the end result is the
> same!

that's not the point at all, as the result is the same so you're not doing
anything which comes from your own yourself and your heart. but you could
paint with the same paint as picasso and still not be as great an artist.
so does the paint (read: process) matter or does the result matter?

i don't want to act stubborn or singleminded, of course the process is
important as it's part of the result, but it's not the relevant thing for me
in music (or any art). there's a really fine difference there...

nice weekend to all,
ralph.

--

.:.: http://www.synchron.ch :.:.