Re: [microsound] AI & rhythm perception - 'groove' heuristics?

Bill Jarboe wrote:

I was listening to si-cut.db (probably voluptuous midnight original , not the stephan m. remix) and thinking of groove as iteration of an event , then another iteration when it begs for reexamination ,

In one of David Toop's books he talks about a piece by Edgar Varese which is a three minute long composition for piano long but which bears the performance instruction "Play 349 times" or something. It was performed in its entirety once by a group of performers that included John Cage from memory, working in shifts over a long weekend. Apparently when listening to it, each time through the piece 'felt' different, as you could feel the memory of the music through itself.

i exist i exist i exist i exist.

Messing with time by constantly redefining a temporal orientation point.

imagine an individual on a dance floor wallowing in infinitude with
enough boundaries to keep it friendly.

Let yourself fall into it and time ceases to have meaning.

I've also thought of backbeat as a completely unrelated sound or feeling
 , when you know the one is going to come back around and you comment or
 accomplish something in the meantime.

Yeah, I know that feeling.. oh magical music.

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107

f r e y