Re: [microsound] AI & rhythm perception - 'groove' heuristics?

Paul Sanders wrote:

In music a beat is not the equivalent of a mathematical point on a mathematical line. It has its own dimensions. No two beats are exactly alike.

I'm currently reading "Unlocking the Groove" by Mark Butler, which talks about electronic dance music (EDM) from a music-theoretical perspective. One of the things it is pulling up is this idea that, in EDM, because of the mechanical origin of the beats (sequencers and drum machines) actually the beat does become the equivalent of a mathematical point on a mathematical line. Yet, we still manage to infer groove and 'funkiness' from a machine-generated beat that is precisely the same every time round.

--
Damian Stewart
+64 27 305 4107

f r e y