Re: [microsound] torrents

On 2 Dec 2006, at 03:19, Robert Arnold wrote:

but the artist never sees the money from that 2nd hand cd sell...

And an artist who does a painting or a sculpture doesn't make any money when the work is later resold (often at a much higher figure as the artist's reputation grows). Is this not a similar injustice? How about used books? Should the writer get a cut every time the book changes hands?

There is now a beastie called a 'resale right' or something like that, where the original creator of a painting or sculpture does get a small percentage of subsequent sales.

There are limitations, such as a minimum sale price, and the involvement of an agent (gallery or dealer). It's the subject of an EU directive.

These things play to our notions of fairness, but don't seem particularly logical. If the original contract was willingly entered into, then that should be the end of it. However we do seem to be redistributative by nature, especially where art and craft is concerned.

Paul