Re: [microsound] iPhone iSux

well, that's a given :)

but really - Jason's response was holier-then-thou crap that was mostly
false.

Totaly untrue. Any snark was a direct response to Kims usual uber-marxist position and the misinformation he is spreading. See below.

Kim's initial post was a bitchfest (but at least mostly true...)
about a new device that kicks ass for a number of reasons even if you
can't program it (you can't, at least not now)

I reiterate: bullshit. Anyone that can program OSX widgets can write for the iPhone. Look it up. Its just not officially sanctioned, but big deal.

or get it for verizon
(you can't, at least not now)

I reiterate: unbound phones will be sold.

or that it uses drm (it does, and that
*does* cause problems - if you don't use the right os, for instance)

Yes, well, that's DRM.  Doesnt effect me, I run PCs and macs. YMMV.

it still pushes the boundaries way out for this kind of consumer device
- multi-touch interaction, gestures, environmental sensors, you name it.
at the very least it'll put pressure on other manufacturers to give this
kind of functionality :_) and i'm just as disappointed that you can't
code for it because all of those features make me want to code for it.
give it time, and i'm guessing you will be able to - maybe they'll
sandbox the cellular components so that imaginary melt-down scenario
sounds less likely then it already does, for instance.

See above. Widgets. I hear theyre easy to code. If only I could code. *shrug* I have no doubt that a community of enterprising individuals will hack together some lovely audio apps for us all to play with on this thing in the near future.

oh, and i wrote this on an all organically grown, assembled by an
Australian Pygmy co-op, cooled by the pyramid crystal power laptop.  did
i mention it's free trade?

kek.. if only, eh?