Re: [microsound] OT: Performing live with laptop

mac attacks all to the side...

you had one suggestion about effects loops option (if
you have this on your amp) that makes sense for your
set up. you probably should use a sound card anyway
and this will give you stereo in/outs...i run the
guitar straight into a mixing board and pan the
channels, long even before i used laptop. with laptop,
i have 4 different standard arrangements, two of which
are easy to explain but i use a mixing board for
inteface in all instances and i use two guitar
amplifiers for delivery:

1) using alt. channel inputs you have option to switch
between unprocessed gtr sound and the signal(s) that
are processed by the laptop.

2) you can also take advantage of the effects loop on
the mixing board and be able to create mixes of both
sets of signals.

this is all assuming you buy steal or borrow a sound
card. input the guitar directly to the sound card.
you'll need a y-adapter to split the signal from your
guitar into two channels signal for the stereo
channels (there are sound cards that have more
channels of course, but your on pc so you have to do a
lot of work on your platform to use these, so forget
about it for the moment).

you take the outputs from the soundcard and input
these to the alt.fx channel or the fx loop.

anyway, knowing how to use all the options of a mixing
board will help immensely if you ever want to start
building patches with the laptop.

i can say no more beyond this in an email. if you come
to berlin maybe i should do a workshop in guitar
processing...could be fun...

good luck, jeff

--- ? ? <sarahmichellegeller@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I often put my guitar through my laptop by
> connecting the guitar amp's
> output to the laptop's mic input, listening to the
> results on headphones.
>
> I would like to know how I then go onto output the
> sound from my laptop in a
> live setting, perhaps to a guitar amp (i.e. buy a
> USB input device, plug my
> guitar directly into that rather than the guitar amp
> and output the sound to
> amp) although that would result in a mono output.
>
> Sorry if anyone takes offence at my lack of
> knowledge or being off-topic; I
> mean no harm. :-D

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> microsound-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx