Re: [microsound] backup advice

On Jun 7, 2007, at 10:34 AM, John Nowak wrote:

> SuperDuper (or the command line approach if you need more
> flexibility) is the ways to go.

i'll chime in on this one with a practical story of having my ass
saved by SD: while on tour my laptop suffered a catastrophic hd
failure - my internal drive toasted in Amsterdam the day before my
show. i had been keeping a daily clone using SD and smart update, so
i ran out, got a new drive, ran back to Steim and borrowed some tools
and a table, ripped out the old drive and stuck in the new and
reinstalled os x (i also brought most of my install disks and
utilities) and used the Migration assistant to import all of my
stuff. the whole process took me about 8hrs and i was back on track.
it pays to be prepared!
cheers

bruce tovsky
www.skeletonhome.com

"Sometimes the appropriate response to reality is to go insane."
Philip K. Dick