Re: [microsound] re: behold the Birotron

> A cello with no attack portion of the sound doesn't
> sound much like a
> cello or arguably very interesting either.

it's arguable. albeit mellotron can be sappy. but one
of the interesting aspects is the presentation of the
overtone series without the attack displays voicing
qualities of the instrument is peculiar to it, even
with the attack gone. loops for the guitar with the
attack cut off can be very nice. (since the sound
timbres are relative to where you attack the strings,
they are unique) i did work recently with the voice of
an opera singer using the same process. there are
oddles of microsounds to play with in there.

Thats not
> to say the
> Mellotron which did include the attack is anywhere
> near perfect. It I
> think in most people's opinion will sound more like
> a cello, though
> the fact that every time the same note is played
> sounds the same
> doesn't help it.
>
> As one might guess, the digital solution widely used
> was to digitally
> smoothly splice a short attack sound onto a
> sustained waveform loop.
> A few rare instruments like a harpsichord  have a
> major change in
> sound on note release, so that may or may not be
> taken into account
> too. You still have issues of the timbre being the
> same each time the
> note is played, but it's still a step ahead of the
> Briotron.
>
> Though I guess a lot of the charm of the original
> technology is it's
> being slightly unreliable so long as it functions.
> I'm sure many
> sound designers including commercial ventures would
> love to get a
> chance to sample one of these. But whatever flaws
> there are get
> captured like a snapshot and won't change. The
> thrill and frustration
> in playing this kind of old technology is if you are
> lucky enough
> that it's fairly playable it's in a constant flux of
> (hopefully)
> small changes.

> For additional commands, e-mail:
> microsound-help@xxxxxxxxxxxxx