To: "microsound_list" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 5:49 PM
Subject: [microsound] ***MICROSPACE PROJECT***

microspace project
Jan 10 2008

I've uploaded all of the 11kHz .wav sound files taken from Selected Sounds of Space website
http://www-pw.physics.uiowa.edu/space-audio/sounds/
===================================
the raw files are located here:
http://www.interdisciplina.org/microsound-repository/index.php?

then worm your way here:
Home/projects/microspace/raw_wavs/soundsofspace.zip
===================================

- with the raw files from the repository create a piece that is less than 5 minutes in length

- there is no theme other than what is suggested in the sound files

- you don't _have to_ use the actual sound files -- feel free to imitate them, totally mangle them into something else or whatever

some guidelines:

PLEASE READ THESE GUIDELINES CAREFULLY!!

***files that don't comply to these guidelines will be deleted from the repository***

- upload finished work to the microsound repository for others to hear/see
    [microsound repository:
http://www.interdisciplina.org/microsound-repository/index.php?

***IMPORTANT ***
- you must FIRST be a subscriber to this list before you can upload your finished pieces to the server

- again, the raw sound files are located on the repository here:
Home/projects/microspace/raw_wavs/soundsofspace.zip

the deadline for submissions
(this means posting to the .microsound list that you have uploaded a piece into the microspace directory) is:

***February 10 2008***

*** BITRATE ***
- post only 192kbps, 44.1kHz, stereo, .mp3 audio files
- use a LAME encoder if possible

*** MAKE A DIRECTORY***
- *first* make a folder within the microspace directory and then upload your finished piece into there - post to the list that you have uploaded your piece (include the name of the piece)

- remember to include a short description of your piece
- also please indicate what type of license you want to grant others
    - consult and choose a license from the CreativeCommons website
http://creativecommons.org/license/
    - include a graphic of the license type in your folder

*** FILENAMING CONVENTION ***
- use filetype suffixes in your filenames...such as "mynewpiece.mp3"
- do not post a file with a filename of 'myfile'
- again, filetypes have to be indicated with a suffix

- DO NOT use spaces or non-alpha-numeric chars in filenames!!!
- underscores_or_underbars_are_OK_so_long_as_they_dont_come_at_the_beginni ng_of_the_filename

  - example of bad filenames:
     "#my, #new, - #piece!.mp3"
     "_my$bad filename!"
(sans quotes of course)

  - example of good filenames:
     "myNewPiece.mp3"
     "my_new_piece.mp3"
(sans quotes of course)

again, pieces that do not conform to these guidelines will be deleted from the repository!

any questions please contact me off list:
<kim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>