Re: [microsound] Is choral music ambient?

I think the choral music you're referring to; Monteverdi, Palestrina, and particularly their antecedants Leontin and Perotin were intentionally making a kind of music that had ambient qualities. Or by ambient are we talking also about "trance"? Because if so we can go way further back in history, and even into non-western history (imagine!) to ritual. African drumming... any kind of sacred music. I think the initial question could be rephrased not exclusively about ambient music, but rather about music that is not heavily focussed on form. There are masterpieces of renaissance choral music such as Palestrina that have deep preoccupations with form, but they were never intended to concern their listeners with the compositional issues of form.

http://www.kathykennedy.ca
or visit my blog on the HMMM
http://kathykennedy.wordpress.com