Re: [microsound] Music Technology graduate interested in Game Audio

Thanks for all the great stuff Robert!

I think the best piece of advice you have given me is to not be
narrow-minded when it comes to sound design opportunities, and don't focus
entirely on game audio.  I've certainly taken that on board.

Game Sound Design is definitely getting nearer to a point where it is on par
with a games graphics for determining how "immersive" and enjoyable that
game is.  5.1 speaker arrangements are the norm, and 7.1 is not unheard of
(no pun intended).  For example, "Bioshock" presents a fantastically organic
underwater world disturbingly mixed with era-specific classics such as Bing
Crosby and Noel Coward, whereas a game like Portal (if you haven't played
it, go go get it all you physics fans) shows how clever sound design can
uniquely define an artificial intelligences personality.
Guitar Hero and the Nintendo Wii aside, computer games and their
accompanying sound design solutions can really show us, in my opinion, how
we can expand and improve on interactive media. :)