Re: [microsound] death of monoculture

On 17 Αυγ 2008, at 4:15 ΜΜ, Damian Stewart wrote:

this is Christgau's point, though - within a monoculture, you can judge musical (popular) culture as 'what everybody is listening to'. my parents talk about when they were young, and how when certain new albums came out, it was true that everyone actually was listening to it. i'm jealous of them for this, because this is something that my generation has never really experienced in music.

Well I did experienced this because when I grow up there was little or no information about anything else that popular music... and if you want my personal opinion it' s sth disgusting... I was very hard for me to seek and discover certain things, and this was of course something I miss in the internet era, but back at that time it was impossible to find a kind that would listen to rock and disco music f.e. No, there were, rockers, disco fans, classical fans, etc, everybody was limited in a genre, just because he didn' t have the opportunity to discover the others, mainly due to lack of information.

Probably our difference is that I don; t like pop culture generally (even it regards mozart or beethoven, because yes I consider them popular music), (don' t misunderstand me, I don' t like pop culture, not pop music). I don; t think that what pop music implies is really able to connect all those people. Furthermore I think it destroys individuality. I ' d prefer a system were each of us could express himself in terms of his own self, rather than in terms of "common" practice (well this needs some further talking when talking about folk music)