Re: [microsound] death of monoculture

Well I wouldn't like anyone having absolute power to decide what material we see. It's bad enough already.

I don't get your point about youtube. Who watches a stream of recent uploads?

IMO it's still a bit early to be proclaiming the "death of monoculture" anyway. Last time I turned on the radio, there were plenty of stations playing the same old crap.

What irks me is that a radio station playing a continuous stream of pop hits + promotion tie-ins + advertising can even pass for a "shared experience".

If monoculture does die, it will only be the death of a business model.

Xdugef wrote:
> Right but then who is granted the power to decide who 's material we do see if it's
not those who advertise?
And for example when it's a free for all you end up with youtube ..
which personally I like because I can find stuff I want to look at but if
you had to watch a stream of recent uploads it'd be pretty annoying, low
quality and I think I might just prefer to watch commercials.
The only fair power structure is the one where you get to
choose what you watch.. therefor monoculture becomes about you not about them. ;-)