Re: [microsound] shirt trax

>not having heard the Shirt Trax CD I can't comment on that particular piece
>but I can say that variety is in the ear of the beholder and the bane of
>most stark minimalism...with most of the dsp music that's around today, it
>sometimes takes an aural microscope to detect and appreciate the subtle
>changes going on under the surface.

[snip]

>I think the variety should be spread out on a macro level...either
>over an artists output on a release basis (lacking this is Oval) or within
>the genre (various schools of thought and production)...

i agree with this. i think my point stemmed from the fact that very few
producers within the particular style shirt trax is mining are very focused
on macro-level diversity or movement. i'm as interested in listening
experiences at both scales or levels, the macro and the micro, but there
are far more dsp composers operating at the latter, and its therefore
easier to get my micro fix. i'd also add that achieving a fusion of
concerns with both levels without just sounding like chaos -- or, as taylor
said, noodling -- is very difficult to achieve. shirt trax does this
occasionally, futher into the disc. other examples that spring immediately
to mind for me include parmegiani, about half of the new fennesz disc, the
occasionally oval track ("episonik" from "aero deko" springs immediately to
mind), about half of the neina cd on mille plateaux, ...

sc