RE: [microsound] texture as narrative

taylor wrote:
>i think also that sound design is incredibly important.. the sounds
>have to SUGGEST more than what's there.. leaving a lot of room for
>listener imagination...

>also, if done right, repetition can be very hypnotic.. which captures
>the listener as wel...

i second that. A good example would be Coil's Time Machines (which,
incidentally, I consider to be some of their best work - even if it was just
an 'experiment'). Nothing much happens - yet the pieces _really_ capture the
listener (to the extent that I often realize twenty minutes have passed,
even though it felt more like three).
Apparently this (as well as the hallucinatic nature of the tracks) was
Coil's intention. It would be very interesting to find out more about the
process behind these tracks, i.e. how do you define what sounds are
hypnotic/make you lose track of time?

Opinions?

//janne