Re: [microsound] texture as narrative

>definitely..
>
>i think also that sound design is incredibly important.. the sounds
>have to SUGGEST more than what's there.. leaving a lot of room for
>listener imagination...
>
>also, if done right, repetition can be very hypnotic.. which captures
>the listener as wel...

well i in agreement with taylor... (you beat me to a reponse taylor!)

more and  more i gravitate towards the design of the sound over
composition...i can listen to it looped over and over. and then i find it
hard to add additional elements over it (or under it) because of the
illusion of progression it gives on its own.

i have always enjoyed when one listens to a loop, even  if it is the same
sound, that doesn't physically change.. the perception of the sound
changes, depending on when your focus begins.. this is especially true with
sounds with a rhythmic element to it.

>i second that. A good example would be Coil's Time Machines (which,
>incidentally, I consider to be some of their best work - even if it was just
>an 'experiment'). Nothing much happens - yet the pieces _really_ capture the
>listener (to the extent that I often realize twenty minutes have passed,
>even though it felt more like three).

this same approach was made by nurse with wound's album "soliloquoy for lilith"
which "time machines" is very similar to.
if you have not heard that one.. you should check it out..
much different than what one expects from NWW.

richard

r   i   c   h   a   r   d   c   h   a   r   t   i   e   r

..   painting   .   sound    .   design   .

chartier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.visionload.com/rchartier

OUT SOON
spec. (with taylor deupree) [12k, usa] CD, nov 1999
tool (various artists) [microwave, the netherlands] CD, 1999

OUT NOW
a hesitant fold [meme, japan]  CD, oct 1999
0/r (with *0) [12k, usa] CD, aug 1999
post-fabricated [microwave, the netherlands] CD, june 1999