Re: [microsound] texture as narrative

>>>  has anyone out there dealt with this issue and found what it is that makes
>>>  monochromatic material 'interesting' over long periods of time?
>>>  (sorry if this isn't clear I'm still waiting for the black tea to kick in)
>>>  KIM
>>
>>unpredictability.
>

>definitely..
>
>i think also that sound design is incredibly important.. the sounds
>have to SUGGEST more than what's there.. leaving a lot of room for
>listener imagination...
>
>also, if done right, repetition can be very hypnotic.. which captures
>the listener as wel...

definetly, repetitive cycles will provide an easy sense of forward
motion...
but even without them, i think it's possible for monochromatic material
to have a sense of narritive progression if even one element varies over
time:
tonal center / textural density / timbre / or "melody" (in expanded
time-sense)

a piece i did "kyrie eleison", was an attempt at a long work that has an
absence of "events": my solution was slow accreted changes in density
and harmonic quality

you could argue that any sort of repetition constitutes an "event", which
implies a contraction of time-sense

kurt ralske

miau-maiu international: redefine your dissatisfaction
www.miau-miau.com