Re: [microsound] AC and other sounds

On Fri, 5 Nov 1999, richard chartier wrote:

> >The question is interesting also because it makes me again aware of the
> >fact that effects of certain frequencies and combinations of frequencies
> >are still so unexplored and perhaps this is why it's still so interesting
> >and amusing to work with. I can never get tired of refrigerators, fans, air
> >cons and ethernoise ...
>
> i concur with that last part definately !
> my mother has often reminded me how i used to sit and listen to the
> airconditioners outside and put my ear up to the refridgerator.....
> hmmmmm my early influences : )
> and i still love those sounds : )
>
> sounds and frequencies that people don't normally pay attention too, or
> have learned to tune out.

i have always wanted to somehow capture on tape the subtle ambience of a
very still room, but for the life of me i cannot figure out a nice way to
do this.  id imagine that the mics would have to be about as sensitive as
can be, and even then, listening to the results may be less than
effective, as they would blend right into the background.  but it would
be nice to get such a recording to manipulate.

i had an old 1/8" reel-to-reel with a busted erase head -- and i tried
doing some recording with a tape loop, so the sounds would just add and
add and add until i had a few moments of a days ambience of a room on
tape.  now that i have a computer/software, i wanted to use some of these
recordings and tweek them out.. but somehow in a move the reel-to-reel was
lost.

the drone/hum of computers and florescent lights does a very good job of
knocking me out.  i blame this on the fact that my mom would drive me
around in the car when i was little to put me to sleep (of course, i have
been forever conditioned and this makes it really damn hard to stay awake
behind the wheel sometimes.. so much for that truck driving career).
now, in response to the work place and all the hums that surround me, i
have learned to really focus in on some of the subtle sounds to keep
myself from drifting off.. sometimes i seems to work.

whatever :)

chris

music for lunchpails . wednesdays 6-9pm . kuci 88.9fm . www.kuci.org
"im livin' instead of forgivin'.. from now on i'm drivin' alone" - b.wills
it.s ok to like noise it.s okay to like house it.s okay to like pop