Re: Re: [microsound] AC and other sounds

In a message dated 5/11/99 10:43:53 pm, you wrote:

<<i had an old 1/8" reel-to-reel with a busted erase head -- and i tried
doing some recording with a tape loop, so the sounds would just add and
add and add until i had a few moments of a days ambience of a room on
tape.  now that i have a computer/software, i wanted to use some of these
recordings and tweek them out.. but somehow in a move the reel-to-reel was
lost.>>

Forgive me if you already know of it, but you should try listening to Alvin
Luciers 'I am sitting in a room' (Lovely Music LCD 1013). Lucier uses the
methodology you have outlined above , starting with a recording of himself
talking about this very process. The constant re-recording of the tape
eventually brings out the resonant frequencies of the room which ring like
bells, but with luciers voice as exciter. A very hypnotic 45 mins!!
Cheers
Rob