Re: [microsound] failure redux

> - there are artists who can 'spit in a paper bag' and sell thousands of copies

but that has more to do with an audience wanting to hear them spit in a
paper bag.  or appreciating the spitting in a paper back as an
aesthetic/conceptual statement & leave it at that.  one artist will do
that successfully, & whoever else tries will almost invariably fail.

so it still has more to do with research (in this case, being the first
at doing something at the moment where there's an audience to appreciate it).

however:

we should make sure to differentiate 'banging on random keys' & 'using
your tools unknowingly'.  the former doesn't imply any sort of
involvement from the composer whereas the latter, while not a recipe for
success, is the product of a learning process: if it is done
attentively, the resulting piece is bound to be rich in sounds, events...

well, i'm definitely rambling here, i wonder if anyone cares.  :)

david
--Boundary_(ID_cd8nSikZgDIp9vcq5FrBzQ)