RE: [microsound] Ritornell takes a liberty?

From: Frans de Waard <frans@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wants. The music on Ritornell is very nice, and moves into different
places. And that is something that bothers me on the Trente Oiseaux
releases: in the mastering process which they do, they make it into a
Trente CD. for instance Daniel Menche's CD sound horrible, I think. In that
respect artists have not much to add for their own with regard to how it
will sound with Trente; Bernard Guenther knows it better then the artist.
That's the main weak point on his label, everything starts sounding the
same (it's like ECM)

this would crush me! if i give a piece of music to microwave or ritornell, i want it reproduced as faithfully as possible to the original, the mastering process should enhance the work, but not change it. i would be horrified if the music was shaped to fit a common sound. its usually clear when someone commissions my work, in what visually context its going to be placed; in most cases i would think only a ludicrous package would disturb me. i would prefer to be consulted, or at least informed when decisions are made for the concept and design of the packaging, but inherently, this falls within the realm of a commercial artist (although i qualify in that role, having formerly been an art director, as well as a graphic artist in my early years).
but, yes, the genre we're speaking about overlaps into the area of higher art, so it would not be unusual for the sound artist to have a need to convey a visual message to the "viewer". traditionally, in the medium, however, it is rarely the case that the recording artist, unless he sells lots of records, is given the initiative to come up with a cover design.

                sony mao