series packaging

>In a message dated 5/12/00 11:18:25 PM, sony_mao@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
><< they simply use the same motiff.
>though ritornell is indeed a label, i do tend to regard it as a series, in
>that these releases might just as well come out on mille plateaux. setting
>them aside as a ritornell release seems an effort by achim to highlight them
>as something special, with a subtext that is shared by the artists (or the
>particular musics) featured. >>

just though this might be of interest.. when designing tha packaging
concept for howard stelzer and intransitive recordings back in 97.. i
designed them to be rather nondescript... like a document folder...
presenting the sounds contained as a sound document without any burdensome
imagery... the first 8 or 9 havethis packaging..
(a new series will begin after the upcoming VARIIOUS 2cd intransitive
compilation is released)

i think both the rittornell and raster (and trente oiseaux) packaging all
work in this fashion...

it places the focus on the sounds.
but at the same time also gives an identity to the label.... a visual cue
for the consumer/collector...

the package becomes an object in itself, and no less of an object than a
release of differing covers and illustrations.

i rather like that.. but hey thats just me....
richard

r   i   c   h   a   r   d   c   h   a   r   t   i   e   r

..   painting   .   sound    .   design   .

chartier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.visionload.com/rchartier

NOW
"untitled" on 12K008 compilation [12k, usa] CD
"3particles" on lowercase comp [bremsstrahlung, usa] 2CD
8 tracks on tool (various artists) [microwave, netherlands] 7"/CD
spec. (with taylor deupree) [12k, usa] CD

SOON
typeof [fallt, ireland] 3" CD, june 2000
http://fallt.com/invalidObject/index.html
"series[10]" on VARIIOUS comp [intransitive, usa] 2CD, summer 2000
"herein, then" on .00. comp [fylkingen records, sweden] CD, sept 2000
http://www.fylkingen.se
"untitled60sec" on Computer Music Journal comp (CMJ) CD, 2000
 series -  solo cd [TBA] CD, 2000

LIVE PERFORMANCE
@ Mutek Festival (Montreal, Canada) June 8th, 2000