Re: [microsound] popularity of new music

> I find attitudes like the one expressed above rather worrying. How does one
> go from liking an artist or musician to not bothering about their later
> works just because the artist/musician has decided to make a little money
> by providing their work to a company for its use in the company's ads? I
> find it a rather luddite (even elitist) reaction which is funny considering
> that most of those companies probably supply the everyday products you use
> without any compunction everyday. Such as your stereo you listen to the
> music you have bought on or some such down to the mundane such the toilet
> paper you wipe your arse on.

the fact that these companies "supply the everyday products that i use
without any compunction everyday" doesn't matter if said companies are
engaged in doubtful business practices.  actually, the mere fact that
_they are the only ones you can find anywhere_ makes their position
dubious: how do you think they got there?  by uh, delivering the "best
product" at the "best price"?

please don't take this as a flame, but your argument against øivind
betrays your short-circuited logic: he talks about repetition of
advertising & you answer with repetition of notes or riffs.  this is
like comparing apple pies & pie graphs: they sort of have the same vague
shape but otherwise have very little to do with each other.

but hey, i'm so populist, i'm elitist.  instead of wasting time worrying
about my opinions, you should worry about the fact that someone has to
have them in the first place: or that we're collectively screwed up & no
one seems to notice.

but this has strayed far enough from music.

~ david