Re: serious music

"Serious music?" Wow. I haven't heard that phrase in a while. If those
LCD-screen lit faces in Berlin during the last week in August are anything
to go by, laptop stuff is very serious, indeed. My think my favorite exception
from that week was Atau Tanaka draped across a chair with a laptop perched
on one knee and a cold bottle of Jever held by the neck in one hand whilst
he twiddled the Max/MSP faders on his laptop with the other. Of course, the
high-amplitude wall o' sound proceeding forth from the loudspeakers was
quite in line with other work I heard. His nonchalant mouse prodding wasn't.

Of course, one might wonder about whether we're referring to "serious" in
terms of our intending the work itself to be the focus of some dedicated
attention and analysis, or whether we're referring to performerly/composerly
intent. I prefer the former.

NB: I guess I *do* have to claim some acquaintance with "serious" sites of
education [Sonology and some weeks of being ragged on by Robert Ceely
at the New England Conservatory once long ago], so I'm entirely suspect.
Not that any of those places would necessarily want to claim my involvement,
mind you....

with regards,
gregory
--
_
knowledge is not enough/science is not enough/