Re: [microsound] Music and architecture

Jeroen, 								Indeed. The Janek Schaefer release sounds very
interesting. I think there is a little written about the
acousmatic/acoustic ecology distinction in Lopez's La Selva release, as
well. I know other sound artists have used room acoustics within
installation spaces as part or sum-total of their piece. Examples: M.
Sato/T.Tsunoda, S. Roden, one or more pieces on the V2 Archief comp "Just
About Now." Thanks for the festival report and Schaefer info. Dale

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000 09:28:05 GMT+0100 "Jeroen de Boer"
<Usva-Th2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> Nice subject! I think you should definitely read the interview with
> Fransisco Lopez in this month's Wire. He has some interesting
> views on music and environmental sounds, and the distinction
> between acousmatic music and acoustic ecology.
>
> A couple of weeks ago we organized a small festival ourselves
> where all the performances took place in shipping-containers.
> Although not all of the artists used the specific acoustical
> qualities
> of the space, it proved to be a good concept. Especially the
> performance by THU20, a Dutch electroacoustic ensemble, was
> fascinating, because they used recorded sounds of the space
> during their show.
>
> A very interesting artist working in the field of music and
> architecture is Janek Schaefer, who is an architect himself. His
> upcoming album Comae makes use of architectonic structures
> adapted to sound. The result is absolutely impressive.
>
> Jeroen
>

> > I have a comp (The Sound Inside: Music and Architecture)that
> > has various people performing music within various structures, but
> > just record the environments themselves would make me a happy
> listener.
> >
> 									I've
> been inspired by some of the work of Toshiya Tsunoda, John
> > Duncan, AER (on the Touch/Ash comps), etc.  Since some of the
> people on
> > this list have both fields as a background, it would be
> interesting (for
> > me, at least) to hear some perspectives, ideas, etc regarding
> this.

> Jeroen de Boer
>               music director Open Electronic Festival/Cyberslag
> Foundation
>               Munnekeholm 10, 9711JA Groningen
>               The Netherlands
>               tel/fax: +31 (0)503634676/(0)503632209
>               gsm: +31 (0)624814506
>               usva-th2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Follow nature! Follow nature! As she works, so will I work!
http://overheard.homestead.com/lloyd.html
http://overheard.homestead.com.daslzentread.html

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.