Re: [microsound] glitch musicians need to party more!

Hello.

Joshua Maremont wrote:

> At 05:14 PM 9/12/00 -0400, Mike Taylor wrote:
> >The only questions I have are:
> >1. isn't Static taking up some of the slack in this territory in SF.
>
> Very nicely, until the weekly event ended.

really? I am sorry to hear that, they did have quite a good run though.

 Even there, however, the
> minimalist sets were strictly for the geeks (hand is raised here), and the
> floor filled for jungle and techno and to a lesser extent for electro
> mixes.  And I saw more than one experimental set clear not only the
> dancefloor but the entire club.  Meanwhile where are most of the records -
> and quite good ones too I will add - by the residents of this party being
> released?  Germany - rather far from SF according to my map.

I guess it is a matter of perception, there was a post on another list
this afternoon that the only forward thinking techno was coming from
Germany and the Bay Area. You guys do have Seth Horvitz and Josh
Clayton, which are two of the better producers on the intelligent end of
techno.

> >2. why aren't you doing anything about it?
> >DIY, it isn't just for punks anymore.
>
> Well my musical cooperative has been presenting salons for electronic music
> listening, about which you can learn more on my website.  As for more
> public clubs, I have been involved in the past, and in the present, mea
> culpa.  There are several reasons or excuses, which may be tagged as more
> or less lame or lazy depending upon how charitable you are feeling this
> afternoon.  (1) Most events in SF are presented by DJ crews, and I am not
> part of one.  (2) Barely any spaces are left here for any music - thanks to
> gentrification and the cooperation of local authorities

Hmm, I guess that is the downside of living in a thriving and highly
populated urban metropolis. I have always had this perception of San
Fran having a thriving music culture, with something going on in just
about any genre. The real estate prices must make it next to impossible
for art galleries and coffeeshops to take chances on events that are not
going to draw well.

Detroit is different in that respect, there are a lot of potential
spaces to do things in, and a lot of people who are up for doing things.
If you have any desire to do something out here, you can and pretty
cheaply. The Mego tour did fairly well out here, the turnout for that
show was pretty good. I know shows like that are not massively expensive
to do, it just takes desire and putting the time in to do them.
It is a shame that you cannot do DIY electronics event in San Fran, you
would think people would be up for things like that.

- and clubs know
> that electronic music fans are few (and here seem to stay at home) and
> spend very little money at the bar when compared to the more popular styles
> of music.  (3) Promoting a party is a lot of work, and without some other
> participants it is hard to add this to a schedule including recording as
> well as a full-time job.

I feel you, this is exactly why I do not do a weekly event anymore. It
is a lot of time and effort. I guess that is another difference between
SF and Detroit, I assumed that the population would be a lot hipper than
Detroit. Detroit has a very strong tradition of avant noise from Destroy
All Monsters in the 1970's to Hearing Trumpet and Princess Dragon Mom of
Time Stereo Records in the 90's. People do go out to noise shows, and
there are venues available. In the mid-90's I used to go to those shows
quite a bit, I miss those days...

Take care,
Mike Taylor

(5) No venues have displayed any interest;