Re: [microsound] Westerkamp (was: electronic improv)

Anyone experienced any of the 'soundwalk' recordings of artists such as
Hildegaard Westerkamp.

I have to say that Hildegard Westerkamp was one of those artists I really got excited about initially, but eventually I found everything she did really disappointing.

The first hint that something was wrong was a kind of low level new age content (her forest pieces in particular tend to go down this deadly road... too many babbling brooks and chirping birds...)

But my biggest complaint is that her pieces really undo themselves. "Kits Beach Soundwalk", is particularly frustrating in this respect... for as much as it's about all the miniscule sounds of the beach, the thing you hear the most is Hildegard Westerkamp talking.... she talks far too much in her pieces, it's really distracting and it just seems to defeat the whole stated purpose of 'soundwalking'.

So once again we see that theory and practice are too far apart, which is probably the source of most of my music related complaints.

(Where in the world: Lunenburg, Nova Scotia... at least in my mind..)