Re: [microsound] What is Microsound?

At 11:29 AM 12/12/00 +1300, Greg wrote:
what is essential microsound reading? gimme a book list.

John Cage "Silence": rather than trying to cram music into theoretical boxes as texts about music all too often do, Cage's simple and beautiful prose allows one to experience how all sound can be absorbed as music; to me, without the pretheoretical and egalitarian love of sound itself so eloquently inscribed in both words and music by Cage, most of the music discussed here would likely have taken a very different form.

Although I am tempted to answer instead: none. The best understanding of music is one's own, derived from the personalized experiences of listening and, perhaps, of creating.

In the case of Cage, perhaps these two anwers are the same.

np - Cranes

joshua maremont / thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
boxman studies label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/