Re: [microsound] bbn top ten (losoul)

>> 01. losoul ­ belong (playhouse)
>
> Any comments on this one?  I have been quite impressed with Isolee's "Rest"
> - especially with the way the tracks despite their minimalism stay
> constantly alive with little changes and surprises - on this label and
> wonder whether Losoul is in the same lovely vein.

Here's what I submitted to the newspaper:

losoul ­ belong (playhouse)
Over-produced things can be bad.  The Cosby Show is a good example of this:
behind the million dollar credit sequence, each incarnation of the show was
just a lot of fluff.  Peter Kreimer, aka Losoul, under-produces his powerful
house music, but his brilliant and diverse samples transform the mechanical
into the emotional. Kreimer is even able to sample the famous Quincy
Jones-produced groove from Michael Jackson¹s "Billie Jean" without sounding
corny ­ certainly a lot less corny than the theme song Quincy wrote for "The
New Bill Cosby Show" in 1974.  (1974 is not a typo.)

To answer your question: Losoul and Isolee are two very different animals.
Isolee's style is delicate and varied, what with his electro and synth pop
excursions.  Losoul's output could mostly be classified as straight up house
music.  His tracks evolve slowly, are quite loopy, and feature a prominent
kick drum.  He is a bass line genius.  This particular album sees him
branching into less standard song structures once or twice, but the focus is
still on his trademark monotonous, floor-filling bang bang.

Based on what you say you enjoyed about the Isolee record, my guess is that
you would be dissapointed by Losoul.  Have you listened to the other Isolee
singles on Playhouse?  They are exceptional.  You might also enjoy the two
Farben EPs that were released this year on Klang.

Hope that helps.
Ben

  -
604.551.5227 bbn@xxxxxxxxx