power of pc (was max/msp for pc)

as a slightly o/t aside, i have just been informed that i must acquire a laptop with a certain set of capabilities for a new project in the fall. it seems that any laptop i purchase MUST be equivalent to the  600mhz toshiba laptop (or higher), which i have been seeing for about 1700.00 us. any suggestions? is the toshiba good? i've never even touched a toshiba before, so i have no idea. btw, it MUST be pc, which messes up our plans to buy a mac for our next addition to the instrument collection! thanks for any input..
                                     karbloosh! rebecca263