Re: max/msp

I'll preface these answers by mentioning that I work with/for
Cycling '74; this means that whatever answers I may try to
offer will be pretty reasonable {and I hope I'll be corrected,
should it be necessary) or horribly and hopelessly tainted.

> Anyone know of any classes one might be able to register for dealing with
> max/msp development/programming/whatever in florida (tampa) USA?

You might want to take a look at the local Universities and see
whether or not it's used in the computer music studios there, and
thus has some tutorial in the entry-level courses.

There really are very few course-type Max/MSP things: the two
major ones are the Max/MSP Summer School, which is held at
CNMAT in Berkeley and courses at IRCAM in Paris. You could
also hit the IAMAS summer thingie {I think it's still on] in Gifu,
Japan, or one of the HarvestWorks courses that are offered through
that fine organization in NYC. It does happen, but not anyplace
near you, I'm afraid - still, someone else might be interested.

I'd start with the Tutorials provided with Max/MSP. The world
is chock-full of people who learned everything they know without
setting foot in a classroom. There's even a secret subset of current
users (cough, cough) who pretty much learned by taking the patches
out of the Max/MSP help files [they're fully functional Max/MSP
patches which demonstrate pretty much everything each object
does], hacking and messing with them [and then looking at the
docs to see why X doesn't work], and learning by imitation.

These are both venerable practices. The actual documentation for
Max and MSP [which isn't too awful, if I say so myself] can be
downloaded and perused from the bottom of these two pages:

http://www.cycling74.com/products/dlmax.html
http://www.cycling74.com/products/dlmsp.html

MIT Press publishes Todd Winkler's book. Some people to
whom I've recommended it have found it very useful, and others
have told me that they thought it stayed pretty close to the tutorials.
Your mileage may vary here. There is one thing, though - It has the
disadvantage of having no MSP content in it at all - it was in press
when MSP was announced.

http://mitpress.mit.edu/book-home.tcl?isbn=0262731398

Peter Elsea, who's taught Max/MSP at UC Santa Cruz has put some
of his class materials online - mostly, tutorials concerned with the
places that the standard documentation doesn't necessarily go. You
can find them at:

ftp://arts.ucsc.edu/pub/ems/MaxTutors/

> From: "Twine sound" <twine_sound@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> Is the damn program available for us poor little Pc users yet?  ;)

As some of you may know, we've got new versions of everything
coming out - new Max, new MSP, new pluggo after that, radiaL,
and the ... well, that would be telling. With our limited resources, the
decision was made to NOT release the Windows port until the new
versions of Max and MSP were out, to make sure that the code bases
were in agreement [since we'll have a pretty serious number of people
who are already users migrating, that really, really matters. It's always
been a high priority to have them both as close to absolutely compatible
as was possible]. Max and MSP are both in beta, even as I write.

They're also fairly different beasts in lots of ways since we showed
it at the AES, and even somewhat since NAMM. But it's all good
feature creep!

On the other hand, iMacs are cheap and they work with Max/MSP
just fine. With the new G4 titanium lap heaters, maybe you can
pick up a cheap powerbook. The student pricing's a good deal, if
you're in that way.

> Nope, I guess you still have to use PD.
>
> http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/software.html

There's also jMax, available through IRCAM. I can't
speak for or against it, however. No experience whatsoever.

> From: "Twine sound" <twine_sound@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> I played with PD, is it basically the same?

There are some differences, but people port from
PD to Max, and vice versa. Here's a threaded exchange
on it:

http://threader.ecs.soton.ac.uk/lists/nord_modular/thread-17556.html#17524
http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/software.html
_
knowledge is not enough/science is not enough/
love is dreaming/this equation/Gregory Taylor/
WORT-FM 89.9/Madison, WI/ http://www.rtqe.net/