Greetings (lengthy)...

Greetings,

I've been around here a while; there are several people on this list that I have met elsewhere; hello again (Lee, Neil, and I am sure there are others!). I usually make a lengthy first post as it is often fun to find context with a group of interesting people (you guys). I'll be in lurk mode in no time. I was going to wait on posting until I revamped my web site with Koan oriented music and new information (bio, etc. as I have been involved with so much music that what is up there doesn't do things justice; IE music influences page way underdeveloped; A Swans release was my first "out" purchase back in ' 94. been a hell of time since then as that was an "awakening" of sorts; considering one of the songs lyric went something like this, "someone more powerful than you should rape you"; got me thinking). This political talk got me excited as I believe that music connotes all forms of communication and is not limited to emotion.

In terms of electronic music I have been involved in hosting events ranging from industrial "back in the day" to more techno (including the real genre) focused on the central coast of California in San Luis Obispo for about 3 years now (~85 events; ran a community club that lasted 65 weeks consecutively; premise was not raving; premise was to create a temporary autonomous zone; it worked; could talk for days on it). Wished you guys could see it in the height of its time. It was _temporary_ though, besides it is not like I envisioned myself running a club night in SLO ten years from now... ;) I am moving on to host one off free day events in a nice secluded park where people can come from ambient, downtempo, abstract beats and to BBQ and do whatever they want. I am still letting the rest of my former collective (Bad Monkey) go on with their "house only" ambitions (I did not force the split; I left when I became fed up with narrow views on music; their loss). I am still letting them use my equipment (own half a Cerwin Vega Intense sound system with another guy in town).

Anyway, I have learned so much about my peer group and life through running music events.
Not only have I had to tolerate music I normally would not listen to, but it has put me in touch with people who live their lives beyond the tech and academic world. This has been invaluable considering that I could have easily been wooed by the tech culture (been programming for 9 years seriously now; started with C and got online around '92; tinkered with Basic since childhood). So, for the most part I have provided [one of?] the "real thing[s]" in SLO for a large sector of the youth (community club; we let in people who could not pay). I'm rejecting all American culture now (arguably have been for a while). <-- Many interesting thoughts here. Too much to say.

It sure would be interesting to see more people become aware of music at an early age, unfortunately not many Americans get the opportunity to have hands on experience. Without that experience music remains a cultural afterthought. _The pretenses are never challenged_. I invite people all the time to come over to my house and studio. Sadly, there are few takers on this offer.

In the last six months I really have been turned onto microtonality and alternate tuning. There are so many riches out there. The microsound community has made great progress; it is just the beginning though. The uncharted territory is massive.

I "know nothing" after 16 years of guitar playing, 3 years of DJing, and 1 year of attempted production. I love music....

In terms of a world view I am still trying to formulate one; making good progress (my books to read are constantly piling up higher! I am whittling away on this area, but not faster than my free time). ...Don't think I ever will though as I am currently viewing life as a labyrinth instead of a linear path. It seems better to run things in parallel than follow point a to b. This doesn't necessarily mean being a "jack of all trades". I guess you could sum up my current view as "anarcho-transhumanism" (do a search in google... heh heh). Hate to apply words to my views as others have used "anarcho-futurism" in ways that I don't agree with. For those that have read about transhumanism you might have come across Extropianism (www.extropy.org). I am anti Extropian. Extropians are the Libertarians of the futurists. You can wax poetically all day about the benefits of future technology, but that isn't going to get you anywhere and it certainly is not practical. <--- ok lots to say here too, but I'll leave it for the music and my web page. I think an active voice can be formed for anarcho-transhumanism that both appeases and links primitivism and futurism. <-- Haven't really found any writings that do this. Anyone have any links? Books?

Thanks for whoever posted on the CCMix program a couple of months ago (http://www.upic.asso.fr/). I applied and was accepted. I will be in Paris this July (this requiring a loan; I'm broke; it will be worth it; for the last two weeks I have been on that infamous college diet as I had to cover the deposit; Grr, gear money....). Curtis Roads will be giving his first public presentation on his new microsound book. :) I'll keep you guys informed. I've been waiting for it for a while. The CREATE web site said it was due in '99!

Anyone interested in hanging out while I am in Paris? I would really like to kick it with like minded people. I already have compiled a list of stores/clubs; more info would be helpful though. Particularly microsound info.

I am trying to find contact information in regard to a techno underground scene in Paris (I understand the clubs are all house). I am acquaintances with the London acid techno folks and they have no contacts; that is discouraging. I am hoping to get a couple of performances together while I am in Europe. I have a DJ friend in Madrid and might make it out there to perform with his collective and quite possibly will get a chance to perform in London. I'm doing it for the experience and fun of it, so please do get in touch ($ is not an issue; I'm free; ok, maybe a couple of beers!). I would love to find out about a free party scene in the Paris area. That and any microsound events. I am going to hit up this one for old times sake (la locomotive, july 11th 2001, paris - france ) Hypnoskull and some other power noise acts will be performing.

I might also mention that I am willing to set up a return lay over in terms of flights to perform at any city between here and there (all of US and for all intents and purposes Canada). I have not received any offers to perform in SF or LA despite the fact that I hosted a ton of DJs (some promoters) from all over Cali at my own events. I am about to finalize a date or two in Pittsburg, PA on my way over there (might be opening for John Acquaviva; shh; crossing fingers; this is tentative as the group I am talking with has not got it finalized). Approximate time coming back is August 7 -- 18th.

I don't have much completed music. I am waiting on getting a pro analog device for my studio (have been waiting on the Aardvark Q10; supposedly to be released in May; this will finally set me free!). Here is a link to my first track (not to be released ever). Again I have come very far from this starting point; this track is not microsound. I put this together last June. It quite possibly will be the only song where I have used factory patches (this and Rebirth w/ factory patterns). Sadly, I was borrowing the Supernova you hear. The bassline is from a Bochem Welt track FYI. Since then I have been researching a lot of things, acquired more software, and have learned much about the recording process. http://www.egregious.net/~catharsis/tracks/tones.mp3 I also have not sent it out to any other email lists or have it linked publicly. This is and a DJ comp (Live March 7th; see below) I sent in for the CCMix demo material, so I don't mind sharing it with this group as I found out about that opportunity here. Here is another tidbit with a little guitar. http://www.egregious.net/~catharsis/tracks/thing_var_final.mp3 These two links are "throw aways"!

I am up to chat with anyone on any of the above on list or off. I really value communication especially from outside the US (hence this list is great!). As was mentioned the American mass media really does not let foreign ideas or objections permeate the news. You have to search those things out on the web and determine if they are true yourself. Destroy your TV.... blah blah ;)

Here is a link to my DJ compilations. In particular I like Divide and Conquer and Live March 7th.
www.egregious.net/comps/

I will gladly exchange a mix tape (Divide and Conquer) and CD (Live at Bad Monkey March 7th) for any producers CD/records on this list. The same for anyone that has DJ mix compilations. I will gladly exchange 1:1. All my money is going to equipment now and I don't have enough microsound music. I get stuff online of course, but that is not everything. Also, if anyone wants to purchase a tape and CD I will gladly send both out with shipping for $5 US and $10 international. International orders must pay me the equivalent of $10US with non US currency. I consider that beer money for when I do travel... ;)

Interesting article (I like Attali's books; some are good to recommend to people just thinking outside the box):
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/attali.html

Good source of alternative information:
http://www.mediaisland.org/

Venues:
http://indie-music.com/venues.htm

Cheers,
--Catharsis

PS. Taylor. Your work with P-909 material still rocked the floors in SLO over these last two years. Timeless...

Egregious "Spiritual renewal through music for those outside the heard." http://www.egregious.net/

--Boundary_(ID_MPRcvwDMIpntJWFdsEexSw)