Re: [microsound] analog|digital or digilog?

At 03:03 AM 6/28/01 -0400, david turgeon wrote:
now, analog microsound...  what would that be like?  (is that a
contradiction?)

Noto, Mika Vainio, and Panasonic seem to be classified (and extremely influential) in the world of microsound, and at least in their early work their techniques were at an analog extreme - Noto with his oscillators and Vainio with his homemade monosynth. I would also mention some of the music on Zero Gravity - Utah Kawasaki and Nagata Kazunao especially - as being quite analog in nature while nevertheless being categorizable in the micro way. On the other hand, even if Madonna were to use Reaktor or Max/MSP in her production process, I doubt she would suddenly show up on the next Mille Plateaux compilation. And might I add that the lovely Reaktor software - often used by those discussed here - is at its core a virtual rendering of modular analog synthesis? I chose Reaktor because I have no room in my little studio for a modular giant, and the US$350 for the former was a bit more appealing than US$20000 a well fitted out creature of the latter species. Yes, the distinctions are interesting for those of us who make the stuff (my friend's Serge modular certainly sounds different and operates differently than my G4 with Reaktor, his rack stealing a large corner of his room as well), but if we are speaking of oscillator tunings and filter settings and clock speeds on both sides of the divide, that divide seems more a crack in the pavement than a canyon of sheer rock faces. For a listener, however, the differences are in what is done creatively with the tools, whatever they happen to be. Microsound - as I look at it - is an approach to sound; the enforcement of a PowerBook lifestyle can be left to Apple's advertising agency.

np - The Millennium "Begin" (thanks to listmember eM for the loan!)

Joshua Maremont / Thermal - mailto:thermal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Boxman Studies Label - http://www.boxmanstudies.com/