Re: [microsound] analog|digital or digilog?

Guy writes:

> There's a bit of musical misinterpretation here: there is nothing
> repetitive in Morton Feldman's [...] music.

Yeah, you are right.  It is *close* to being repetitive, though.  I
think this closeness to repitition without actually repeating is what
makes me focus on the micro details in Feldman's music.  The same is
true of Evan Parker's solo soprano sax stuff.

Joshua Maremont writes:
> At 03:00 PM 6/28/01 -0700, cramakrishnan@xxxxxxx wrote:
> >Mitchell, Parker, Palestine, and Feldman all have examples of
> >microsound made with unamplified acoustic instruments; as do Radu
> >Malfatti and Burkhard Stangl.
>
> Well, I know Feldman's work rather well (and I am happy to read of him
> here), but the rest of these are known to me as names only, and Malfatti's
> name is new to me.  Perhaps there might be some suggested listenings for
> the more proto-microsonic of these musician's recordings?

For Evan Parker, get Conic Sections (ah um 015).

Three Compositions for Machines has a peice each by Mika Vainio, Peter
Rehberg, and Charlemange Palestine.  The Palestine peice is peformed
on a siren.  (Stalplaat STCD 035)

What I'd be interested to hear are recordings of Palestines freakout
marathon concerts from the 60's/70's where he would bang on two piano
keys until his fingers bled.

If you can find it, get Burkhard Stangl's Ereignislose Musik -- Loose
Music.  It is an incredable record.  The track "Trio Nr. 1" with
Stangl, Radu Malfatti, and Gunter Schneider is delicate, gorgeous, and
barely audiable.  It is what awoke my concious interest in this music,
though i didn't have such an evocative term as "microsound" at the
time.  I refered to it affectionately as "boring music".

I think this record is OOP, though.  I also like the Polwechsel disc
on Hat Art.  Polwechsel is Werner Dafeldecker, Michael Moser, Stangl,
and Malfatti and they explore similar territory.

I've heard Roscoe Mitchell live play music similar to what you'll hear
on the Evan Parker Conic Sections disc, but i don't know where there
are recorded examples of it.  Perhaps someone else on the list does?

I've really been enjoying this discussion.  It's forced me to listen again
to some records that i haven't listened to in quite some time!

- sekhar

np: Pan Sonic/Charlemange Palestine - Mort aux Vaches

--
C. Ramakrishnan        cramakrishnan@xxxxxxx