Re: [microsound] autechre's new direction?

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, taylor deupree wrote:

> not that we need one more message on autechre..

Well....

> but, i fail to see how "confield" is "new direction" for autechre?
> basically it sounds like all of their last recent works.. with a bit
> of 80's break-dancing music thrown in... far from anything NEW...
> unless you were born after the break dancing thing..

I don't know, it doesn't sound like that to me at all. I mean, I think
Confield is sort of the next logical step after EP7 and some of the Peel
Session 2 tracks, but it's a different vibe. It's a lot more static, less
melodic and looser sounding than before. Before it sounded like they were
still making "tracks" whereas now it sounds more process oriented.
And as far as the breakdancing thing, there's only one track on the album
on which it sounds like they're taking the piss out of RUN-DMC's "Sucka
MCs" (track 3, whatever the name is), but that's it. What other
breakdancing influences do you hear ?

> although i think the past 2-3
> years' releases have all kind of blending into one.. i can't tell any
> of them apart...

I bet you don't listen to those records too often.

:-)

Andrei