RE: [microsound] ekkehard ehlers

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing about Ehlers just the other day.
(Wait, that wasn't me, was it? I'm losing my mind.)

Heroin, Ehlers' collaboration with Mathieu, is fantastic -- in many ways not
so far off from Mathieu's "frequencyLib," full of short song-fragments and
surprisingly recognizable -- and unexpected -- shards from popular culture
(Sigur Ros, Vince Guarladi!).

Last week I picked up Ehler's "Plays Albert Ayler" on Staubgold, and have
been completely blown away by it -- a digital re-knit of mostly solo cello
(and excuse my ignorance, but are all these cello samples *from* Ayler? I
don't know his work well enough...), at times straight dark drone, at times
muscular and melodic. Fantastic.