Re: [microsound] labels

Hello Taylor. I understand what he was trying to say but I don't agree
with the attitude. From humble beginnings to pretentious disregard. This
is one of the many things about the music biz that sucks royale. It's
EGO.

oh, i agree that his attitude was very very harsh. quite surprising... some of his points were well made.. but maybe in the wrong tone of voice...

I have run a couple labels myself and I knew going in, of the potential
problems that may arise (such as an over abundance of demos). If a label
doesn't want to deal with demos then state that publically from the
beginning. If a label wants to hand-pick it's artists then perhaps they
should do that from the beginning as well.

i, personally, go through periods of both.. where i tell people "no, sorry we're no accepting demos right now".. and other times "please send them in"... simply because there are some real gems out there waiting to be discovered... i mean, dan abrams/shuttle358 comes to mind immediately.. as he crafted a very unique and original sound early on and his music has been very much enjoyed by people.

i also get a lot of demos that are really great.. but that i simply don't have time or resources to release!. this is always disapointing.. and when possible i try to pass the demo to another, possibly interested, label...

There are ways to circumvent every problem. This prevailing attitude of
"why should I have to listen to something that is not very good" may be
brutally honest but is only an opinion and in a "public relation" e-mail
is sheer arrogance.

yes.. because, frankly, you aren't going to know whether it's good or not until it's listened to.. except for the obvious ones.. like i said in my email.. when i get a demo that's rock and roll or heavy metal or something where the person simply hasn't done an ounce of reasearch before sending to us...

taylor,

-- + + + + + + + + + + + + + + taylor deupree/12k/line taylor@xxxxxxx http://www.12k.com

OUT NOW 12k/LINE RELEASES: 12k1014 sogar | basal | CD (AUG) LINE_006 z.e.l.l.e | nth | CD (AUG)

UPCOMING 12k/LINE RELEASES:
12k1015  goem | abri | CD (OCT)
12k1016 ghislain poirier | il n'y a pas de sud... | CD (OCT)
LINE_007 steve roden | forms of paper | CD  (OCT)

LIVE:
october 9-10: new york city - tonic
october 18: paris, france - le batofar