Re: labels

Some real good points being made about demos, I may as well add my $0.02...

Speakin' as someone who runs a label and tries get out two new CDs every six months, I generally know well in advance what I want to publish. The bulk of my time is spent saving up the money to publish the CDs I have planned, working on the next two (or more, if I can), working on things like text and production for releases, playing my own music and booking shows and tours... plus the ocasional regular, brain-death day job.

I recieve tons of demos, and many are great, but I usually know what I want to publish next... frequently its someone I've listened to since I was a kid (like Brume) or people I personally work with (like Greg Kelley/nmperign, or Jason Lescalleet) or folks I correspond with (like Roel Meelkop and Frans de Waard). In other words, demos (in the case of Intransitive, at least) can be better for beginning relationships than for directly having your work published.

Right now, I have releases planned until next Winter, but I get demos all the time. I've heard some great music because of it (like Ken Kirschner and Paul Taberham) and now I know more like-minded artists in more parts of the world, which is fantastic to me... and part of the fun of having a label at all.

Hope this helps to see things frm the label's perspective!

Howard Stelzer. Intransitive Recordings.
www.intransitiverecordings.com

OUT NOW:
int014 LIONEL MARCHETTI
 "Knud Un nom de serpent (le cercle des entrailles)" CD
int016 JOHN HUDAK + JASON LESCALLEET "Figure 2" CD

OUT LATER:
int017 M.BEHRENS "Elapsed Time" CD
int018 GAL "Relisten" CD
infr01 TOSHIYA TSUNODA "Extracts from Field
     Recordings Archive #3: Solid Vibration" CD
int019 HOWARD STELZER AND JASON TALBOT "Songs" CD
int020 NERVE NET NOISE "Meteor Circuit" CD