labels

to chime in on this discussion about labels and demos...

being a label owner myself i agree with many points in pita's quoted message posted to this list.... running a label takes a LOT of work.. from trying to get new releases out, to doing artwork, mastering, selling and dealing with current releases, keeping the website up to date, dealing with promoters and press people about live shows, bookkeeping, etc.... not to mention running our own lives, having fun, making our own music.. working our other jobs...etc... there just isn't always time to respond to everything.. and it also takes time to listen to them all.. the demo cds here @ 12k pile up and pile up..

my policy with 12k is to listen to ALL demos that get received.. and to try to respond to as many people as i can.. but i can't always respond to everyone...

i think a few genereal rules to think about when submitting a demo to a label is this: know that they are very busy.. and that they will probably listen to your cd...and, bottom line:

THEY WILL CONTACT YOU IF THEY WANT TO RELEASE IT.

obviously this would happen.. so, if you don't hear from them.. just assume your demo, for one reason or another, was just not right for the label..

i also agree with pita in his "proof" that he listens to demos.. citing various artists he has released.. the same holds true with 12k... many artists we've released.. shuttle358, sogar, and many artists on compilations.. all "first time" artists.. and all came from demos.

so please cut the label-owners some slack on this topic..

on another note, however, i also find it flattering to receive so many demos. whether they're all good or not, or whether or not i can respond to everyone.. it's nice to know that people respect and care enough about 12k to want to be a part of it..

(exception being people who send me "phat drum'n'bass trance jams".... please do your research before sending demos to labels! :)

taylor,

-- + + + + + + + + + + + + + + taylor deupree/12k/line taylor@xxxxxxx http://www.12k.com

OUT NOW 12k/LINE RELEASES: 12k1014 sogar | basal | CD (AUG) LINE_006 z.e.l.l.e | nth | CD (AUG)

UPCOMING 12k/LINE RELEASES:
12k1015  goem | abri | CD (OCT)
12k1016 ghislain poirier | il n'y a pas de sud... | CD (OCT)
LINE_007 steve roden | forms of paper | CD  (OCT)

LIVE:
october 9-10: new york city - tonic
october 18: paris, france - le batofar