Re: [microsound] pc laptops and digital audio

claudio chea wrote:

> hi all
>
> who here uses pc laptops for live? what interface(or soundcard) do you use for your live output????
>
> thanks and greets
>
> claudio chea

I use an IBM ThinkPad with two Roland UA-30s and my system works great, never had a serious problem.

My partner just got a 1GHz Dell laptop which cost three times as much as my economy-class ThinkPad but
it sucks for audio...makes all kinds of electrical noises, distortion, intermittent fan noise, etc. I
have heard complaints about Dell laptops from others as well. Fortunately he got that one from work, I
think he might have to buy another laptop now to use for playing live.

I think particularly with laptops and audio there are significant differences between brands even
though you would think that most of the components are the same. I have only used Apple and IBM
laptops for music and have had no problems.

I use the VXPocket with my PowerBook and it sounds great...for some reason my IBM was never able to
recognize it, however...

Does anybody use Sony laptops live? I would love to get a little VAIO in the future...that mini-laptop
with the built-in video cam has the same specs as my ThinkPad and I could carry it around in my coat
pocket.

John

--
John von Seggern