Re: [microsound] oval armani

Perhaps the use of outdated technologies/software is one way
to better address the problems of 'ready-made' parameters
and 'art-as-new-tech-demo' syndrome?

I'm often wondering about the 'random-number' feature in
applications: how does one program _randomness? Is there
really such a thing?

How much does/did microsound/microtonal works depend on the
existence of contact mics?

After a while, Cage primarily seems to be a self-serving,
staged cultural polemic.

/:b

On Fri, 28 Dec 2001, Kenric McDowell wrote:

> Giving up compositional decisions in favor of a chance procedure
> inevitably gives control to some other force. In the case of most music
> made on computers that force is another person, a software designer. My
> point is that this type of disinterestedness is politically and
> artistically dangerous. Maybe a violin or a radio isn't any different,
> but the marketing and construction of a contemporary software package is
> less benign than that of a radio or a violin. Put another way, a radio
> or even a violin can become a readymade whereas many software packages
> are paramaterized with a certain agenda. It's hard to shake off the
> packaging and see it as an unmotivated object.
>
> It just feels bad.
> I'm still trying to figure this out though. :-)

The 12hr-ISBN-JPEG Project                >>>> since 1994 <<<<

+ + +         serial           ftp://ftp.eskimo.com/u/b/bbrace
+ + +      eccentric          ftp://ftp.idiom.com/users/bbrace
+ + +     continuous         hotline://artlyin.ftr.va.com.au
+ + +    hypermodern      ftp://ftp.rdrop.com/pub/users/bbrace
+ + +        imagery   ftp://ftp.pacifier.com/pub/users/bbrace

News:  alt.binaries.pictures.12hr   alt.binaries.pictures.misc
               alt.binaries.pictures.fine-art.misc    alt.12hr

   Other  |  Mirror: http://www.eskimo.com/~bbrace/bbrace.html
Projects  |  Reverse Solidus: http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/

Your Support =>  http://bbrace.laughingsquid.net/buy-into.html

{ brad brace }   <<<< bbrace@xxxxxxxxxx >>>>  ~finger for pgp