Re: [microsound] Re: grabbing people by the balls (dumbtype et al)

first, hypothetically speaking (since i'm not a promoter or soundman) i would say that if an artist has agreed to not go above a certain volume level etc, i would be pretty irritated if i was putting on a show and said artist completely ignored the agreement (in effect lying) and blew my entire PA. needless to say I'd assume that an artist with such a reputation would find it increasingly more difficult to get shows booked...?

however, in the case of dumbtype, they have a very specific guidelines document that outlines all aspects of the performance and what they require to perform, so i doubt they are surprising anyone who's organized the show, although some of the audience members apparently were taken aback by the sound (which again, was not that loud in my opinion).

as an aside, perhaps we can pose the question: how much volume is too much? after all, what sort of "statement" is an artist making by causing hearing loss? is this counterproductive or the idea of noise as "anti-music" taken to extremes? sure, i suppose this could be posed to any rock band (atari teenage riot was perhaps the loudest thing i've ever experienced, i kicked myself for forgetting the earplugs) as well, but in the case of noise or a more art-gallery based performance, it seems to take on an added level of relevance. if half your audience feels it necessary to wear earplugs to your shows, why bother with such volume if people are going to go out of their way to "mute" it (as they obviously don't care for the high levels)?

lastly, the post below states that sound should be created and/or perceived without meaning. I would have to disagree with this sentiment on some levels...although in a technical sense, of course you are right, sound is a series of frequencies, etc, it's all physics, yes, but it's the same mindset that visual art is inherently meaningless and should be viewed only as form. in theory this can be really interesting, but it seems so much a means to an end that the perpetual pursuit of this meaninglessness can eventually become in itself meaningless... Because there is a "concept" behind it does not necessarily mean that the concept was developed after the fact to justify the formal aspects, because in many instances it's intrinsic to what's been created. (Such is the case with Dumbtype, wherein every aspect appears based around intently communicating an idea or concept.) Absolutism is, in my opinion, overrated, and it strikes me as naive and/or myopic to assume that art of any kind can and will only mean one thing (or nothing) to all people.

"If you have a message or statement words are alot more efficient."
But are there not things that cannot be completely put into words? Do words alone deliver the same sort of experience derived from sound or visuals or dance? Of course not.

I'm going to back up a few steps though and clarify that I don't have a problem with sound as sound (without concept) because quite often it's more than successful without a lofty idea or motive other than form for form's sake... And many artists who preach a "big idea" can as you said come off as "masturbatory," so it runs the gamut I suppose. I realize these are just your opinions and that you obviously have a concise idea of what sound means to you... I'm just trying to make a few points in another direction and shed some light on the fact that sound (like most things) means different things to different people....

anyone who actually read this whole post gets a gold star :-)