Re: [microsound] Money/Mouth

As with everyone else, all comments are my opinion only and meant only in a friendly spirit of debate...

From: Christopher Sorg <csorg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
In some ways, there really isn't a way for the laptop to *not* be
acousmatic. There is no way to directly indicate a source for the
sound; the source *IS* the laptop, but it isn't at the same time.

Maybe that tension between the laptop being and not being the source of sound highlights the inadequacy of the concept of the acousmatic.

Laptop performers are still presenting themselves center
stage, as if it truly matters where they sit during a performance.

That statement is contradictory. If it truly doesn't matter where the laptop performer sits then why do you care if they choose to take center stage? I believe you're implying some sort of political critique of the "center stage" position but I'm not clear on what that is.

For
the acoustic performer (or even electric), there is a direct correlation
between the producer and the product; a coronet player blows his horn and
a sound results.

Is there, or is it just a lot of theatrics that allow the audience to believe they know what's happening. Do we really know what's going on with that coronet player's lips and breath or do we just trust that something is going on up there? I really belive that there is something that happens in a live performance where the audience just KNOWS that creation is taking place. When that happens the performance works and it doesn't matter if the instrument is a laptop or if the performer is visible or not. Sure it's a corny idea and I can't back it up with any theory but it works for me.

I generally think that attempts at demonstrative approaches to laptop
music are typically either funny or just plain ridiculous.  If you've ever
seen someone perform with any sort of gesture body suit, you'll understand
what I mean.

God yes. Please spare me the Nintendo gloves!

From: Michal Seta <mis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hence, the only way to perform that music was through a recording. ...So I don't think that the academic music has "adjusted" to performances with tape/CD. It came as a necessity. And it still is a necessity.

But why is the "performance" of recorded music neccessary at all? If musical performance and the creation of a recording are two distinct artforms (like theater and film) why do artists who create recorded music feel the need to perform? Is it merely an economic or promotional decision? Or does the need to perform come from the need for people to assemble in social situations like watching movies in a "theatrical" setting? Will the musical equivalent of the movie theater ever become widely accepted without a funcional aspect (music to dance to, music as social wallpaper, etc.) Perhaps as Christopher was discussing above radio (including web radio) performs this function within the artform of recorded music and "performance" of recordings in a physical space is unnecessary.

Romantic assumption, rather. The romantic period has created the cult of the virtuoso composer/player, the star, the center of attention.

Hmm, this is what I was thinking when I asked a couple of weeks ago about the insistence that the cult of the artist is a modernist phenomenon. Of course nobody agreed with me then! Once again, I feel that there is an implied political value judgement when someone talks about "the modernist cult of the virtuoso, etc." but I'm not clear on what that is. I don't know enough about postmodernism but I feel like I'm missing out on something here.