Re: [microsound] dynamic range

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Markowitz" <jeremymarkowitz@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "microsound" <microsound@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 9:31 AM
Subject: [microsound] dynamic range

> I was just thinking it's kind of ironic that as
> digital technology's ability to increase dynamic range
> for mass consumers (CDs vs. vinyl) the vast majority
> of producers today would rather have something
> unnaturally compressed sounding.  Does compressed/loud
> somehow signify "urban", more probably "power", or is
> it just for functionality?

....my ears get tired quicker, and I can't listen to classic rock radio
stations for much longer than one zeppelin double-shot, because they're
always trying to "blow me away". same goes with a lot of new music...there's
a pretty good note on this general problem here:

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pro/messages/251.html

I noticed recently on the newest wu tang record, the diversity of production
style and inconsistency in levels was astonishing. some tracks barely
sounded mastered, and it provided a much greater depth to the record as a
whole. different rooms, levels, and perspectives. sometimes, the struggle to
make everything "cohesive" (ie: same production quality), can have a
bludgeoning effect...

s.