Re: [microsound] ???

Well, knowing about something is one thing, and respecting it is something else. I honestly feel that MS works best as an observer-focused event (performance at a gallery, or event focused on sound as art), rather than an event that occurs in tandem with other activity (a rave, a club, or any other event where socializing takes president over observation).

Case in point, a had Taylor Deupree out to play at an event here in SF. The event itself was held at a local venue 26Mix. One of the problems about that performance was that people were talking and drinking, making the performance difficult to enjoy for those who were really into what was going on. It wasn't a matter of numbers, it was a matter of knowing how to observer the event.

I think MS performers should be compensated in the same way other artists have been supported, through arts patronage. In this way, it doesn't matter is 20 people or 2000 people show up, that act in and of itself is justified. Additionally, more people knowing won't matter. I doubt if Warhol or Pollack would have created paintings to be run over by cars.

Stephen/Zygote
http://www.undertheradar.net

when when kim asked me to book him in toronto I wont have to turn him down
for fear that only 20 persons will show up but rahter 200 persons will
show up and I can pay him his asking price. Its a simple question of
economics, less people know about it less cash flow into the genera