Re: [microsound] the clueless leading the blind

I have found the term "glitch" to be a blanket statement that really means little to nothing, it reminds me of when the first clicks and cuts comp came out, not to slam the intentions of that comp, but i was turned off by the idea of experimental music being labled as such. Personally I am more interested in the sounds people create and how they are presented in musical/non-musical systems. I really have little interest in the lastest and greatest software program or programmer, but the intentions and process of the artist have always been far more interesting for me.

The computer is a tool, yes. I make a living as a graphic designer using a computer. I also use the computer along with many other tools in producing what I consider expression with sound. People/critics have always had the need to attach a label to art movements or movements in music, I guess to isolate it and give it a frame of reference in which it can be easily placed and compared with other work in a time line of events. But if one is only looking to get a name on that time-line then I would really question the integrity and expression of the work.

Maybe we should start to focus discussion on the intentions of the individual artists, instead of trying to define glitch, but then again Glitch gives us a voice in the larger media context. Music is a personal experience as is art, it can move people in inummerable ways, we can become critics and lose site of our intentions, or we can look for postive feedback and try to as clearly as possible examine our intentions as artists, then if the critics want they can define us.

Maybe some of this makes sense? I dont really know. But I guess for me this whole Glitch thing is interesting because it is a new art form, now with a laptop someone has a mobile studio, max/msp patches are like scuplture and improvsation is something like abstract expessionism. The music has become so visual that it makes alot of sense to people like myself who grew up in a cut and paste world, it only makes sense that we would want to try and collage sound bytes from the world around us into some kind of soundtrack that frames our experince as humans, its not about the computer, we are computers. Everything we do now has a computer involed (for the most part) I think its more an asethc of drag and drop, cut and paste then glitch. Glitch is just a really crass/surface explanation for something that has much bigger reasons for being. If you want to blame it on someone blame it on Steve Jobs for giving us a windows based operating system.

-scott