mixing tips/software

The recent software discussion has spurred me to ask a question
regarding mixing. Whenever I attempt to achieve that "natural,
enviroment, cohesive, sound (or any mixing in general really) such as
kim , taylor , richard etc., my sounds always sound out of place,
clunky, more or less wrong. I am happy with the sounds individually, but
no matter what i do to the panning/levels etc., I just cannot get a
smooth mix. Does anyone have any tips on how to attain a cohesive mix,
or perhaps software that approaches mixing in a non-conventional (i.e.
protools,etc.) manner/interface? Thanks.

Visit New York City online. Special offers on hotels, shops,
attractions, and more plus FREE @nyc.com or @newyorkcity.com E-Mail!
http://www.NewYorkCity.com     http://www.NYC.com