Re: [microsound] Re: monitor speakers AND power amp

M Mercer wrote:ok, that bit of negative energy out of the way... i also just
got an Alesis

> RA300 power amp. i also have 2 20/20 passive monitors. i am really lost on
> how to wire the amp to the monitors. how do i connect speaker cable? do i go
> to the hardware store and buy stranded cable? i just bought speaker cable at
> the local music store and it's only sold with 1/4" plugs on the end, and in
> a last resort i snipped off a plug to try to just remove some insulation to
> use it with the binding posts. this was probably a clueless thing to do but
> alesis hasn't responded to any of my inquiries, and i thought i might as
> well try it. i've never worked with this sort of stuff before and i'm lost.

So you've already got cables in hand.  Check the Alesis amp and see if
it has 1/4" outputs or if it is just speaker connects type things (a little
clamp you can push and a hole opens up so you can stick a wire in it
-how's that for high-tech - or it might be binding post style - this type
accepts a banana plug or barewire, it's screw type style).
Be careful and don't confuse the inputs with the outputs as
the amp may have 1/4" inputs.  If it doesn't have 1/4" outputs
then you can cut off all of the 1/4" ends on the speaker cable.
Trim off about 1/2" of the shield from the copper strands on
all ends.  Then give the copper wire a twist.  Hold at the
end of the insulation and then spin the copper between
your thumb and index finger.  Basically you're trying to
tie up the loose copper ends into a smaller singular
(you'll see why when you try to stick it in a hole)
Think of it as kind of like a shoe string.  Frayed is
hard to thread, non frayed is easy.   If you have access
to a soldering iron then give the ends a little coating
of solder.  This helps maintain the tight shoelaceness
to it and helps keep down oxidation of the exposed
copper to the air.  This is not needed but if you can do it.

You now just need to fit the speaker wire ends into
the speakers and the amp ends.  If you run into the
banna post screw things these are made to accept
these special ends that solder onto the ends of
your speaker wire.  This enables you to just pop the
cable into the speaker posts (they will have a hole in
the middle of them).  These same connectors also
screw off to reveal a hole inside of the post.  Push
your speaker cable thru the hole, spin the connectors
back the other way to tighten down and check to
make sure the are in there nice and secure.
Also make sure the copper doesn't touch the other
side of the cable.  Oh, yeah, you want to make
sure that you put the +(red) on the amp to the +
on the speaker and the -(black) on the amp
to the - on the speaker (as well as knowing the
L/R cables too)  There may be markings already
on the cable or you might have to run your finger
along the cable to make sure you've got the
right side.  This is very important to make sure
the phase of your speakers is correct.

hopefully you'll be able to hear them soon.

let me know if there's any other snags you
run into.

kerry
--

Kerry Uchida
Vancouver,Canada

"Sounds don't belong to human beings,
in the same way as nature itself does
not belong to them.  Sound Ambience is
part of nature, and the composer only
needs to make listening to it possible." -John Cage

Now Playing:

DJ Aural---- http://www.mp3.com/DJAural

Coming Soon:

Technomorph-- http://www.technomorph.com