Re: [microsound] Time to Pirate (was: Decision on Web radio reached)

They just don't want unique or unusual artists. The next step will be to ban everyone from putting our own music on our own websites for others to learn about, basically they want to destroy any music that doesn't come from the big 4. MP3.com has been able to co-opt a huge amount of artists, for my own music I put up only ogg vorbis files on a weird little site at http://resin.csoft.net/~bredfern/ or http://brianredfern.com , I don't want anyone taking away the rights to my music when I work so hard to make it, I want to give it away for free, while still retaining ownership, while MP3.com still tries to finagle stuff, so god forbid if you do get noticed or popular on there, but its more likely one gets buried in the huge heap of people on there. Lots of vultures in the industry would like to see all sites by ordinary people shut down, to force people to pay huge liscensing fees so only Disney could afford the liscense to run a website. Of course the technology is constantly morphing to gain more and more capabilities to route around repression.

Like nothing would stop me from posting my radio stream to the list, especially if its a temporary ip address that can't be easily tracked. The underground will continue to route around, just like people still throw parties, but they have to be very down low and can't have more than 100 people, so things just get smaller to survive, as soon as someone gets "famous" for doing a web pirate radio their isp will get hammered on and they'll lose their web access. However, with the new wireless web technology people could spin on the internet by stealing bandwidth, like using some companies wireless bandwidth to temporarily broadcast and then move on, it would be as hard for the riaa to catch you as it is for most sys admins to catch decent hackers.
John von Seggern wrote:

Hear hear...does anyone else think the RIAA might have gone too far this
time? The Napster case was just as big as this but a lot of people still
have the sneaking suspicion in the back of their minds that file-sharing is
wrong, I think.

Shutting down US Internet radio, though, and for no good reason, just seems
plain evil, an undisguised power play to extend the monopoly power of the
major labels further into cyberspace. Are we to be left with nothing to
listen to online but ClearChannel.com or other such crap?

It will be interesting to see what happens next. If anyone wants to know
more, check out

http://www.saveinternetradio.org/

Seems like it's already too late to stop this through Congress (unless a new
bill is passed which supercedes current law), looks like it's time for
guerilla action.

And how about a moment of silence for http://www.somafm.com, I'm really
going through Drone Zone withdrawal this week...

Will other countries really follow the misguided lead of the US on this? If
not, it seems like all it will accomplish is to prevent Americans from
webcasting, while still allowing us to listen to stations in other
countries.

John
Digital Cutup Lounge
http://www.digitalcutuplounge.com